пʼятницю, серпня 03, 2007

My New Job (kinda) and Its Dangers

Well, with a grand total of four days left to work at MFWIW (Motorized Factory Where I Work), the Grand High Supervisor Dude (emphasis on the 'Dude' part here, he has loong hair which he usually wears in a braid) decided I ought to broaden my horizons. So, fearful that I had done _something_ bad, I followed him to my new job, in the dipping section.
Pros
-It's so much cooler! You can actually feel the AC
-It's not too hard, once you know how to hang the parts
- No more tiny flakes of hardened primer getting into my eyes!

Cons
-For one part, I can't reach all the way around and fasten it on the hanger, so I have to straddle the conveyer thingy. If I don't get out of the way in time, I could end up with serious bruises/a crushed leg. It's very motivating.
-Even when the part you're fastening is relatively easy to fasten, you have to sand in a very awkward way that makes even a simple task difficult. This is because there is a knee cord that runs the length of the conveyor for the purpose of stopping it if you get your leg stuck in it- see above con. Regrettably, it's really easy to hit it by accident, and if you do, the whole line stops and everyone glares at you.
-Snapping on parts is tricky sometimes and you can gouge your fingers. I've done that a lot...
-Since the parts don't really want to go on the way they're supposed to, it helps if you have good upper body strength. I don't...

And now for the stats
Number (#) of times I have hit myself in the safety glasses with a part- 7
# of times a coworker has hit me with a part- 1
# of times I have hit myself with a part in a region other than the safety glasses-8
# of times I have narrowly avoided dropping a part- 20
# of times my safety glasses have almost fallen off because I was trying hang a part properly- 4
# of scars/scratches I have that makes it look like I'm attempting self-destruction-9
# of coworkers who don't speak English as their first language- 3
# of dollars stolen by the crummy vending machine- 1
# of times I have jammed/stopped the line in my new section- 0!!:D

And that, for now, is all. Especially because I'm working OT tomorrow instead of going to the Czech festival.

1 Comments:

Blogger John C. said...

Well, at least it's almost over. Folks out here can't wait for the new semester, and I'm no exception. Here's to seniority, with the hope of a quiet rest-of-the-vacation.

2:44 пп  

Дописати коментар

<< Home